7/26/09

Backyard Bliss, Backyard Beauty & Some Spray

Moving into a new house can be thrilling and exciting, especially when you have a garden in your backyard full of new surprises all the time. The old owners must have put some serious thought and effort into this landscaping because we have had flowers blooming all throughout the summer season. For example, as the peonies wilted away, the roses began to bloom. As the roses continued to flourish, the lilies began to sprout. Absolutely stunning. A few similar comments can also be found here, but the flowers are truly too good to be true.

To my wonder and amazement, I have new flowers once again. Too beautiful not to share. However, this time I'm also adding one of my new "spray paint" projects. Just a teaser into some of the bigger projects, which I have completed, just have not had time to post.

I always dreamed of having a backyard full of hydrangeas. Big, beautiful flowers - full of life and color. Just like peonies, you can add three stems to a vase and have a huge arrangement because of their size. And, do not forget about the white dahlias.





And, what a better way to display flowers than with a recently modified vase. :) The vase started out like this ...



And, although this arrangement definitely topped the list on "longest lasting bouquet ever" and was truly stunning ... what was I ever going to do with a pink vase again? This was one of the bouquets we received when Ms. A was born. Maybe add it as decor to a girls room. But, really? How could I reuse this vase on a regular basis.

How? Spray paint! I thought black would be a versatile color for our kitchen table and living room centerpieces. The white dahlias in our backyard were the perfect combination. Or shall I say, I think they are dahlias. (Yes, I'm still learning about flowers and how to be my own backyard arborist).

And, how did I do it? I simply just spray painted the vase. No buffing, no sanding - just 97 cent spray paint from Home Depot in the satin finish. I used cardboard boxes as my barrier to keep the spray paint from attacking the garage floor. Then, I started spraying and made this finished product.



Now, my vase is more functional, stylist - and most importantly - was free. I already had the vase and I already had the paint. Perfect-O! Another project crossed off my list. And, most importantly, a new fun vase for my freshly cut flowers straight from my own backyard. Now that is bliss. And, beauty, too. Backyard beauty and a little spray makes for the perfect centerpiece combination. Absolutely beautiful.

0 comments: